Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter - almost

Easter Egg Roll - 2010
The minute Maddie sees the Bunny she pops her shades on like she is on the red carpet.




Happy Easter! Big news on the cake front..This Takes the Cake has been taken over by The Cake Spot.  As you know, I am a cake person...we are a cake family. My mom found out about the new cake place when she was driving by.  She decided to order a cake for us as part of our Easter celebration.  She tried to make it a surprise but decided to tell.  She loves surprises - but also thrills in telling the surprise - so it is sometimes a half surprise. Sometimes I am not sure if I am still supposed to act surprised. It is as much fun watching her joy as it is having my own.

My mom went to pick up the cake before Easter.  My phone rang.  She called to tell me about the cake.  I am not sure if she was adhering to Oprah's no phone zone pledge or if the cake was just so shocking to her that she decided to pull over and call.  I am going with the cake was too shocking.

I know.  Cake is cake - right? Not really.  I do not want to trivialize this but cake means different things to different people.  My mom gets flashed back to her New Bedford days. Of her dog Saxie sneaking the surprise cake under the dining room table. Of birthday celebrations, creme horns, and memories of her old whaling home on Pope Street. Of birthday celebrations and family. Of cousins and laughter.

None of those celebrations had kelly green frosting (yes, her words!) and orange and yellow frosting writing a wild version of Happy Easter! None of those cakes had roses in florescent.  None of those cakes looked like a Mexican Pinata.

Tomorrow we will eat the "new" cake.  We might miss our old cake. We might in our hearts, by reminded of other celebrations that we have enjoyed cake together.  And deep inside, we just might feel sad that you can never go back...and we may realize it is much more than cake.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment