Saturday, January 21, 2012

Love, Your 41-year old future self


Happy New Year! I have been quite absent from the blogging world...I dare to say this past year has been a bit stressful.  Sometimes when I am stressed it is easier for me to stay busy than to slow down and really focus on the worry. 2012 is my year to get back into my blog....

I watch the Today Show every day. I have watched it for as long as I can remember. It was a regular in my house growing up and to this day it is how I start my day - and thanks to my dvr - sometimes how I end it. 

Last week, on one particular segment, a question I have heard before was asked, "What would you tell your 16 year old self? " I have heard the question before.  I have heard about the book,  Dear Me, a compilation of heartfelt letters from celebrities answering and offering insight. 

I have never thought about my answer.  I have never read their answers.  But this time, I paused. 

I am not even sure why, but I have been focused on the question all week.  I found myself grabbing my notepad in my purse and scribbling things down.

It is a great question and a book I will definitely read...but not until I write my own letter....so in the spirit of the book and the question that has been pausing me all week, here goes....

----------------------------

Dear Me,

It is difficult to see it now, but you are on a journey.  There is no right or wrong course. In fact, you should be prepared to take turns along the way and change direction, when it feels right. You should begin to listen to YOU for the answer as to when it feels right, because only you will know.

You should not be afraid to ask for direction - there are people all around you who will come into your life for different reasons. Surround yourself with these people. Don't be afraid to learn the lessons they can teach.  They may be family, friends, bosses, teachers, doctors, and even your children. There are lessons in every situation and from everyone - Some positive and some negative.  They will all teach you - be open to hearing their voices. 

Be open and share - not just the proverbial toys in the sandbox - but yourself. You may be faced with challenges that don't seem fair...they may seem scary...they may rock you, but I bet if you are open about your experiences and challenges, you will help others and in doing so help yourself more than you will ever know.

It is important to plan, but it is more important to be prepared. There is no perfect.  You cannot even pretend to know the curves that may be thrown your way, but when you are true to yourself you will know how to handle them with grace.

Remember to laugh. Really laugh.

Remember to cry.

Remember to breathe and try not worry so much.  Try your hardest not to let "the worry about things that may never happen" derail you in your every day. More often than not, the worry is worse than the what if.

Remember to volunteer. It is important to give your time and energy to causes that are important to you.  Use your voice to make a difference. Admit when you make mistakes, and do not gloat when you are right. 

Take time to appreciate all that you have been given in life - and I am not talking about material things.  You are not entitled to anything.  Appreciate and show gratitude for it all.


And finally, remember to be in the present. Work hard at staying in the moment. Look people in the eyes and don't let distractions take you away from being right where you are. Because right where you are is right where you are supposed to be.

Love,

Your 41-year old future self








         
     

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful letter. truly beautiful. i wonder if i could have received such a letter i would have recognized it as a gift or just laughed ot off and gone on my own path, so sure i was right. i'm going to have to look for that book... and i'll let you know if i'm brave enough to write my own :)

    ReplyDelete