Monday, February 1, 2010

Words Matter

The past few weeks have been very stressful for me. With Michael out of work, I find myself over worrying about money and how it will all work. The emergency fund I carefully funded - has now been tested. Emergencies have popped up on top of other emergencies. I did not know it was allowed to work that way. My little bubble of safety and all things easy has been hit by a pin. I guess I did not know how easy it was.

This weekend I went to a Valentine's Tea at one of our oldest friends. We have shared mother/daughter teas with this group of women for many, many years. The conversation picks up where it left off and we catch up on our lives. Our hair color has changed, we have had babies, our moms have become grammies, and we (the kids) have become adults.

There is one woman I love to catch up with each tea. Peggy has a neurologial disease. Not MS, but another bunch of letters that mean crappy deal. I don't need to know the initials to know how she feels. I have first-hand knowledge.

Years ago, Peggy and I talked about MS and she asked if I would talk to her friend's daughter who also has MS. I did. I have talked to many men and women with MS. Sharing my journey and hearing theirs. My attitude is positive - not denial positive - just simply positive. But at this tea, Peggy shared with me my words. How she remembered all that I said to her. I was shocked that she could quote me and things I said. I was shocked that I sounded so sure. So sure that it would be ok.  So sure that we are all playing this game of cards and I just know my hand.  So sure that I know. I know how she feels. I know how it feels.

I walked away knowing that I made a difference. Words matter. They may be the "thing" that someone holds on to. It reminded me to choose carefully becuause you never know when you are making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment