Friday, August 6, 2010

Don't Blink




This week, our gal hit a milestone when she started riding her bike without training wheels.  Michael and the kids took off to the slice o' life corner to take a bike ride in the church parking lot. It was an exciting day for her. 

Michael had removed her training wheels in the morning - knowing that she was ready.  I do not know if she knew she was ready.  There were not many conversations about being ready. In fact, I do not think there were conversations at all. 

It makes me think this is what happened years and years ago. You just did things.  You did not have a whole bunch of conversations about readiness.  No conversations about how you are feeling.  About making sure you are ok with the decision.  Just go.  Sometimes it just feels right not to over think your every last move and just go.

She took off.  Michael sent me an email at work.

"Well, Maddie has taken off the training wheels and if off riding her bike - next stop village after that - look out world. Taking them to beach for a little while. L, M"

Later that night we all went to see Maddie ride her bike.  Michael on his big kid bike and Michael and I in tow.  Her big brother was so supportive and even showed her some of his moves. Of course, we took a bunch of pictures.

Today, I was cleaning our family room.  I have a spot where a keep some of the mini scrapbooks I have made.  The kids love to "take a peek" over and over.  I must admit, so do I.

I stumbled on one I made when we first moved to town.  Michael was about 6 months younger than Maddie is now. I was struck by the bike shots.  How he has changed.  How he has grown from a little boy to a growing boy. How Maddie was not even on a bike.  How in front of your eyes life moves very fast. How I, of course, already know this, but sometimes need to be reminded.  Don't blink.


4 comments:

  1. hey mom whooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome sweet 200+200=400 xoxoxoxoxo madeline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Maddie! Yes, life does move very fast...One minute you're sending them to kindergarten and before you know it, you're planning college visits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow... i love the part about conversations, and how we used to just let things happen instead of talking them to death. and kids growing up... oh, i wish it didn't happen so darn fast. my son's no-longer-little-boy-hands make me just about want to fall into a heap on the floor and sob... but then i see who he is right now and it is all i can do to keep from leaping with joy!

    ReplyDelete