Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ode to Renovations

Serious Sink - Almost 6 feet long!

Renovations are taxing. They are exciting and frustrating all at the same time. It is exciting to see progress - but it pulls at you and makes you want to see it complete. You know you should not be feeling that entitled, but you cannot help it. It tests your patience.

I still look at kitchen and dining room boxes that have yet to be unpacked. Thankfully they are out of sight - or I would have them open and spread out everywhere.  I will admit, I am quite convinced, that I will find things I do not need at all - or that I cannot even remember I once owned and frequently used.

I sound like a broken record. When we started our renovations we did not intend on building our own kitchen. But we kept coming back to the same thing. We are hung up on a kitchen in an old home renovation magazine. Scratch that. I am hung up. And I guess it is fair to say, Michael is a little hung up, too.

And because Michael is super talented in the building department and because he has more tools than most people know what to do with - we hit the jackpot! 

We (and with that I mean Michael) are building our kitchen. It may take a little longer but, boy is it worth it.

So here we are today. This has been a lesson in the present. Being OK with where you are right now and not focusing on tomorrow or yesterday.


These are some of the cabinet shells -
Doors are done but waiting for hardware to arrive from Rockler.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, for those of you who have been reading "my slice" for a while, you may remember the euro slicer (Feb 6, 2010 Only in America posting)

Well, I have to admit. I broke down. Kinda.  Michael and I were in Building 19 - a one of a kind discount store - and they had one.  The whole enchilada.  The 4 piece deluxe set for $20. Seriously.  You know I bought it. I mean really have you ever seen veggies cut this perfect? Though I admit it is hard to clearly see with the distraction of the orange Halloween plastic plate.  Just believe me.  You can take this infomercial to the bank. 





No comments:

Post a Comment