Saturday, June 19, 2010

What a Day!

I typically carry my camera with me.  Today - on this beautiful day full o'activities I did not have it.  And I felt it.  I caught myself thinking about it.  How it would be great to capture these moments. 

I started the day early at an appointment. Up and out before the crew even got up.  I then cleaned a little and put away laundry.  Ok, no need for the camera. 

My mom, Maddie and I then went to the Arts Festival in town.  I filled my soul as I reconnected with two people that have truly made a difference in my life. 

I first bumped into a woman I met right after college graduation.  She was running for State Senate and I volunteered to work on her campaign.  The energy of her grass roots campaign electrified me.  I connected with young college grads with the same goal to get this woman into office.  I saw first-hand a bright woman who had her share of adversity in her life go for it.  She was strong in her convictions, smart, educated on the issues, and she was not afraid to take a stand. She did not win. But it confirmed what I learned from my parents.

I grew up in a family that recognized the importance of participation. Of volunteering.  Of stepping up. My parents to this day serve on many boards between them. I don't remember them ever missing a voting day. And though I do not ever remember a time that they told me to participate - they did not need to - they led by example.

I then bumped into a woman near and dear to my heart.  I first met this woman when I worked at Talbots Corporate Headquarters.  I was young.  She took the time to listen. And she probably does not even know, she inspired me.  She was professional and positive, caring and true to herself

Flash forward many years later, we moved to the same town she lives in. I was able to reconnect with her. I delighted seeing her in the grocery store. Even for a minute.  A little laugh in the aisles. 

She is the head of the garden club in town. When my Michael started 3rd grade, I was delighted to see that she offered a Junior Gardener's Club at his school.  Michael loves to plant, so it was a natural fit for him to join.

In the Spring, she was travelling with her husband and she got into a very bad accident. The kind that makes the Today Show.  Her dear husband, another wonderful person, did not make it. It was not certain whether she would.  She did.  She spent months in the hospital states away from here.  The entire community prayed for her and the family. She proved to be one of the strongest women I know.

My dear son wrote her a note.  I was not sure if I should send it at first. I did not want her to be upset.  He wrote it all on his own and it was truly from the heart.  He said - and now as the months have passed - it still gets me.  "I am sorry for your loss.  I know what it feels like, my dog died in November.  I am here for you. Love, Michael"

I sent it because it was so pure.  When I saw her today I asked if she got it.  She said it brought her laughter and tears - because it was so true and so from the heart.  It meant the world to her. I hope she knows she means the world to so many.

And finally, in this long-winded post we had a great beach and boating day! How spoiled are we in this town straight out of a novel!  We are watching our friends sons tonight and they offered to let us use their boat.  Perfect weather to load the kids in the boat and take the brief ride to my favorite beach,  Open to so many  beautiful surroundings. Yet private as you have to arrive by boat. The space is between the town I grew up in and the town I currently live in.

It is directly near the place my grandfather and I used to go clamming.  I clearly remember digging for clams with him for the big clambake he used to have at their home.  The memories are vivid. So close to the surface.  Of all days, today was the anniversary of his funeral eleven years ago. Easy to remember as it falls on my grandmother's birthday. Today she is 91.      

I sat there on the beach thinking what a great day for photos, yet I did not even know how I would capture it. 

I stopped and took mental pictures.  The sea grass blowing in the breeze.  My son and his friend skipping rocks.  My daughter eating watermelon. I even flashed back to some pictures in my mind.  I wondered what my picture would look like today. Would it be the ten year old clamming or the thirty nine year old watching her family run in the sand?  Today I am going with the clamming.

No comments:

Post a Comment