Friday, July 2, 2010

Summer is Officially Here!!


"Star Spangled Cake!!!"

Summer has come in like a lion.  The weather is perfect. Sun, clouds, slight breeze. These are my favorite days. I don't love it when it is overly humid - it feels really crummy on my legs. Thankfully, we will be sunny and breezy this glorious 4th of July Holiday weekend!

We have fun plans this weekend.  Tonight we are boating with our dear friends to see the fireworks in a neighboring town. And tomorrow we are celebrating the holiday at a cookout at the same dear friends home.  They are the most wonderful family.  They have blessed our life with friendship. True. Friendship.  It is not often that you connect with a whole family.  We became friends when our kiddos were in Kindergarten together. They are now entering 4th grade.  Time is passing too fast. I am happy to share these passes with them.

My friend is an inspiration. She can tackle everything. She can plant a bunch of trees, grow a beautiful garden, make a gourmet meal, raise a big family, and still have time to put herself together to turn heads.We have laughed so hard sometimes my sides hurt. I am looking forward to heralding in this wonderful American holiday with them all.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention the "Star-Spangled" Cake she makes. All of the children gather around and sing the "Star-Spangled Banner". Does not get more American than that. And of course, I am crying. Well tearing. I don't want to make a scene with the cry Oprah coined "the ugly cry."



Oh, and speaking of American, my guy is playing baseball this year.  He played in the spring and is now on a Friendship Travel Team.  It has been fun watching him grow and take on this new challenge with such enthusiasm and drive.  He has pitched. I have watched with my eyes half shielded by my spread fingers but wide enough so a can see his smile and leg lift when tossing the ball. In case you are wondering, I remove my hands when he is not pitching.

That makes me sound very competitive. Not in the sports arena. As long as my kiddos have fun, do their best and be team players, I feel that they have already won. I win when they have the courage to get in the game. To me, that is what it is all about.

Here's wishing everyone a Happy 4th! I should probably get more followers since I will be able to tell you all this in person. And even though you ALL are enough - my goal for the second half of the year is to get some advertisers on the blog. Who wouldn't want to share in this slice o'life?

No comments:

Post a Comment